Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The impact of a web search

So last night, I found myself in bed unable to sleep. Ugh. I got my computer and did some work before I lost interest. I began to browse the internet and ended up on the PETA website. There was a tab that said "Companies that do and don't test on animals." I clicked on it and began reading the list of companies that do. Naturally, many of the products are ones that I currently use. Yeah, my Tide detergent, etc etc.

After reading up on animal testing, I decided that once I have gone through the products from companies that do test, I will switch. Further investigation brought up a very good point though, and I am no sure how I feel about this. The companies that test on animals tend to be very large ie Procter & Gamble co. The companies that don't test on animals tend to be small, ie Seventh Generation. Since animal testing requires a large lab and lots of investment, the big companies can afford to maintain them and discover new chemicals, additives, etc by testing on animals. Once they are determined safe, the smaller companies will adopt the use of the ingrediant without ever having to do the dirty work themselves. Interesting. There are always two sides to a story I suppose.

I really don't want to be one of those crazed organic types, crualty free etc...but it is hard not to want to be that way when you start finding out details of things that make our lives what they are today. Shrug. The more you know....right?

No comments: