Sunday, August 5, 2012

Where we are at - Rinkie

I feel like I really missed the boat on Barrett's 10 month post. The thing is, in the beginning of life, it is all about milestones - rolling over, eating well, sleeping well, ect. We are well into life with Barrett and while gross motor skills remain big events and milestones, a new type of descriptor should have begun to emerge in my writings about him. Personality. And perhaps also, the finer points that make life with Barrett, well, life with Barrett.

General Stats
Nicknames - Rinkie, Stink-a-Rink, Rinkie Rink, Barrett, Bear (but more often, I simply type Bear, rarely do we actually call him Bear).

Gross Motor Skills
Stands for several seconds unassisted, cruises standing on furniture, walks several steps with a walker (doesnt seem as interested in walking because he is so fast crawling), climbs stairs (like really well), climbs the couch, climbs the hearth, goes down stairs and off the couch and bed face first...not my favorite move. Bear crawls...he doesn't like the feel of grass or rough aggregate concrete so he will walk on his hands and feet like a bear does and gets around quite well, thank-you-very-much.

Personality
A is for Analytical
I have a feeling this kid is going to be smarter than me. He plays with a purpose. When he picks up a toy, he tries to figure out how it works. When he plays, it's not random banging, it's purposeful. I see him as the type who wants to take things apart and see how they work. Note to self, buy him lots of things that can be taken apart and hide the computers...

B is for Busy
Some kids are calm and quiet. Barrett is not. He's crawling, moving, bouncing, dancing, bobbing, playing, going and going and going. Until he's not, then he sleeps. He loves to swim. I mean LOVES it. Future Michael Phelps? (perhaps a little on the small side) He is very agile as well. I plan to enroll him in gymnastics for babies in September. It will be fun to watch him learn about how his body moves and works. I think the key for me is to find ways for him to get his energy out, constructively.
C is for Cookie...E is for Easy-going:
This kid is easy going with a capital E. I mean seriously. He blends into any situation you throw at him. He is not routine orientated and therefore, he just goes with the flow. Remember in the last post where I said that his challenges were the perfect ones for us? Take for example the fact that he sleeps in bed with us and not in his crib (much) - A hotel stay is no problem, he sleeps in bed with us anyway so he is fine doing it in a hotel room. And because he doesn't nap in a crib and instead opts for the stroller or car seat, naps are a cinch on the road because we generally have a car seat and a stroller with us. He makes everything into a toy and so we travel light - we don't bring an arsenal of toys along with us. I recently removed all toys that made noise or were battery operated (apparently this goes with the whole screen time thing in that babies under 2 shouldn't watch TV and shouldn't have lights and noises on everything...never fear, if you have these toys, I won't judge) and he actually seems happier and it is much easier to find toys, measuring cups? Yes please. He does very well being woken up from naps. He never seems cranky or grouchy if he is woken up. If he gets less sleep than he should, he is still happy and go-with-the-flow.

T is for Tough
Almost nothing makes him cry. He bonks or scrapes or falls and if he even cries at all, it is momentary and fleeting. He is fearless and will try anything...note to self, get better insurance...

R is for Rinkie
Ok ok, we get it...he's small. Move on mommy. 

Did you guys see what I did there? Pretty much got the letters of Barrett's name, by accident (until the R is for Rinkie). Baret (only there are 2 R's and 2 T's...T is for Tiny?)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

you have such a sweet boy on your hands! I hope my loud, screaming, toy-banging child doesn't ever become a bad influence. :-) maybe Bear can give AJ some lessons on quiet playing???? AJ just sits there and screeches in excitement. My hearing is starting to go.. :-)