Jordan Rich (middle name TBD) was born at 4:20am on 4/1/2008! He weighed in at 8lbs 8 oz with TONS of blond hair. Ali went into labor and by the time they got to the hospital, the baby was making good progress. Within 1 hour and 20 minutes of arriving at the hospital, he made his debut-in all his glory. He spent 25 minutes being on oxygen after birth. They almost had to do an emergency C-section because Ali was contracting so hard that it was stopping his heartbeat!
Everything turned out okay and he is doing great! Ali is recovering wonderfully and they will get to go home on 4/2. I had to come to work after being there all night with no sleep, so I am very tired!
I had an interesting, and unexpected thought that crossed my mind when gazing at my new nephew. I was in love, naturally. I love being an auntie, I really do! If you look back at my more recent posts, you would see that I have been pressuring my husband to have kids sooner rather than later. While looking at my sister and Jordan, it really hit me how much of a commitment babies are. I know, silly, right? Everyone knows they are a commitment! But I mean, it really hit me in a strange way that children are a time commitment, money commitment, love commitment, a commitment that takes everything you have-everything, your heart, soul, spirit, mind-it is your own heart, walking outside your body. I realized that someday I will be a great parent. Someday I will be ready for this commitment. But that day is not today or even tomorrow. I knew at the moment that I saw him, that right now, being an auntie is perfect and it is all I need to be right now. It was a strange feeling to have so much joy and be so excited to be an auntie all over again, and yet, to have such a huge realization like that. I am content to be married, enjoy my free time, enjoy traveling, enjoy my friends, sleeping in, saving my money-or spending it as I choose. And what a realization this was.
No comments:
Post a Comment