Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Clarificatin

Not that I need to clarify-but in case you don't know Nick and I well, I am the one that needed convincing to get a TV. Some background:

I grew up with lots of TV's around. My dad owned a business that sold-ok, I will go back into some history. Back in the day, my great grandfather ran and owned the first gas station in Eugene, Oregon located on the corner of 6th and Blair Blvd. He ran the gas station for years, until just before he passed away. (I vaguely remember seeing him when I was really little, maybe 2? so that would have been 1984/1985 that he died). Sometime before he passed away, it was determined that someone should take over the business-this was before my sister came along (1982) and later, me (1983)-my parents were in the PeaceCorps in Oman. When they came back, they really didn't have an action plan, so my dad decided to take over the business. Lets see-they were married in 1977-went to Oman for two years - 1978/1979 came back and took over the business. (I hope they will correct me if I am wrong).

In addition to selling gasoline, my dad began to sell used books and records. My dad has collected and been passionate about two things music and baseball (cards). It seemed fitting that he would sell records. Sometime during elementary school (for me), the gasoline portion of the business became a money losing venture so my parents shut that portion of the business down. (Insert my side-rant here-gasoline, like many other items, is discounted the more bulk you buy. Large companies such as Texaco and BP were able to buy in mass volume and therefore, received better pricing, which in turn drives the small, mom and pop places out since people want to pay as little as possible for goods. I do not bring up my views on larg corporate places such as WalMart up on my blog, but I will make an exception here. I, on a personal level, refuse to shop at places that make it a point to drive small family owned businesses out for the purpose of making money and selling cheap junk. I watched my dad struggle to make a family owned business with unique/hard to find and good quality goods flounder at the hand of large corporate companies-read WalMart etc. As a matter of principle, I refuse to support them with my dollars). Once the gasoline was shut down, movies were added.

At our house, we had many movies-but never cable TV. I remember as a kid, at my house, I mostly played outide. When I would go to friends houses who had cable, I would be glued to the TV, even if nothing was on, simply because cable was so special. I found, in my very young adult life, I would waste hours and hours watching nothing on Cable, simply because it was there. So, when Nick and I bought our house in February, I insisted that we not get cable. Since not having a TV or cable at all, I find that I get so much done! I loved it. However, I agree that in the times that Nick and I wanted to watch a movie, it was difficult on the laptop. And so, after living with no TV for 7 months, we did get one, but still, no cable. Nick agrees, we don't need the expense or the distraction. =)

So there you go-some history and clarification.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TV is awesome. You should both cave in and buy a huge 80" TV