Friday, January 30, 2009

Work on Saturday, AGAIN?!

Here we go, busy season-again! It seems that I was just writing this post not too long ago-but yes, as an accountant, I live busy season each year starting in January and ending around April.

Sometimes I wonder about this blog-its purpose and all. I sit and wonder, if I read this in the future, what would I want to know/remember? I was going through all Nick and my yearbooks tonight and in our 8th grade (yes, we knew each other in 8th grade) yearbook, there is an insert that says what was going on-big world events and current crazes. The biggest dance was the Macarena, caller id was getting popular (CALLER ID?!? are you serious?!? Am I THAT old?) and President Clinton was going into his second term in office. Reading these things made me wonder if I should maybe add in some current events things into my blogs-something to know and remember what was going on and what was big news during the time of the post. I will try to add these elements from now on-they can definitely be interesting down the road.

Big things of the moment-the economy is on everyone's minds. December 2008 marked a time when unemployment went up in all states. Many of the hospitals in Oregon cut pay for management positions and OHSU is cutting 1,000 jobs in the next few months. Even I have been affected by this economy-while I have not lost my job, pay freezes are fairly prevalent. Any government officials who are out there trying to say that things are looking rosey, economically speaking-are living a dream. For the regular, everyday person, life is becoming more and more expensive with a trip to the grocery store costing increasingly more-yet, wages stay frozen or are not rising with inflation-yes, this is gloomy-but a part of life in the US right now.

Nick has been working hard up in Hood River. He comes home and tells me about pump stations, setting vaults, altering a pipe truck and valves. I know that he does amazing things-I just don't always understand them.

I have been working A LOT! I have been out at clients for the past few weeks, doing audits, coming home and working for a bit from home. We will be starting saturdays as of tomorrow and I will definitely miss my full weekends. I have a hard time getting enough recoup time when we are working tons of hours during the week and then proceed to work one of our weekend days.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about teaching. I left the idea of teachng back in 2005 because of several reasons. I was affraid of getting in front of people and presenting lessons, I had a demanding job that at the time, I felt was worth leaving teaching for, and I had the dream of being something "more" something where I could make lots of money. I find that lately, I have been thinking about being a teacher more and more. I love helping people, I love teaching, I love the idea of having time off, I lots of time off! I, for one, love my time off. I love to travel, love to have time to myself, with my husband-of course! To do the things that we love to do!

1 comment:

Missie said...

Great idea chronicling what is going on in the world. This blog is basically an online diary so you are doing yourself a favor for the future!
Oh how old you are making me feel as well! Caller ID, really??? Only 10 years ago! I wish I didn't feel so old now:)