Friday, October 30, 2009

Fall Leaves



The east side of Portland seems to get more wind than the west side. The upside? We have 3 absolutely stunning maple trees with lots of leaves-when the wind blows during the fall, the leaves tend to fall off the trees all at the same time which means less time spent cleaning up leaves. That is, of course, assuming I was going to clean them up...currently, they are all over the lawn and since Nick and I plan to take out the lawn, do a whole bunch of landscaping including the installation of sprinklers, etc and then re-planting the lawn, I am not all that motivated to save the current grass from suffocation under the blanket of leaves. Other than the sheet of leaves looking spectacularly bad, I am really not that worried about it. Besides, when you landscape, things always look really bad before they look good. Take, for example, the hole we have created where Nick's shop will be. Currently, it is, well, a little boy's paradise (a mini construction site for tonka trucks) and maybe a man's paradise, too-mud wrestling, anyone? By next year, it will be a beautiful shop where Nick will be able to do projects and as an added bonus, my garage will be...that's right-Mine.


I completely forgot to wish Nick a happy birthday on here. 27 years ago, Nick entered the world in a blaze of glory-taaadaaaa! His mom and dad were stoked...and then he started doing things...Joni (Nick's mom) eloquently says he was a "busy" kid. Among my favorite Nick stories as told by Joni:
  • Running into the house "mom, i'm thirsty, can I have a cup of water?" Joni grabs a cup, Nick leaves, comes back..."mom, I'm still really thirsty..." she refills said cup of water, Nick leaves, comes back...."mom, we started a fire and can't put it out!"
  • Pulling a glass coffee table onto himself (as a toddler) and going to the ER :-(
  • Having his pediatrician tell Joni that if she could keep him alive through 18, she was an amazing mother
  • Learning to pick the lock on his older brothers bedroom door and taking apart all his technique lego sets
  • Pushing the baby gate from the top of the stairs, riding it down and giggling at the bottom "I ok!" also as a toddler
  • Competing in a backhoe competition at age (10? 13?) for skill (including picking up an egg with a spoon attatched to the bucket) and almost winning first!
  • Running naked through the same hotel he and I got married at when he was a toddler
  • His dedication to everything he does including coming back from 2 knee injuries to play football (the first freshman year and the second junior year).
I have to say-I am married to one amazing, hillarious, fun loving and talented individual. I don't know how I lucked out...but I sure did!

Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: