I am taking a stab at organization today. Several months ago, I went through all of my clothes and got rid of things that I haven't worn in - oh - well, since before I started dating N (which was summer of 2004) - um yea, just because you still fit in clothes from waaaay back does not excuse keeping them in my closet unworn, cluttering up everything. So, I gave about 3 boxes the heave ho and said adios to these old and forgotten items. Now - I admit, I kept some things...I am not sure if it is for sentimental value or simply because the items were expensive or because they were from my little sister's closet (um, tee hee-I don't think she reads this..!) but there were things that I kept, despite not donning in the last 7 years.
I made N go thru his clothes too - well actually, I tried - hard. I pulled out all of his clothes that I had not seen him wear since we got together and put them in the middle of the bedroom - and let me tell ya, there were a ton! My little packrat (the hubs) was none too pleased when I told him he had to get rid of some stuff. All told, I don't even think that he got rid of a box - and he was not happy about it (he still brings it up all the time). I love that he is sentimental, but 3 drawers full of tee shirts from high school football seems a little excessive to me. Let me quantify this clothing problem for you. At our cabin in McCall, there are 2 entire boxes full of tee shirts - one just white, the other, memorabilia. There is a whole closet full of hanging items from coats to sweaters (um, I don't think I have ever seen the hubs wear a sweater, and I have known him since we were 13!). Our guest bedroom here at home has an armoire - it is full of memory tee shirts, unmentionables that will never be worn again, socks that he doesn't like and a handful of other forgotten items. There is a box in the attic with more of these socks that he doesn't like. There is also another box of tee shirts in said attic. While I would love to make the decision for him on many of these things, I am just not mean enough to get rid of his stuff. So, I just keep boxing it up - and it will end up being forgotten and collect dust. I digress.
So today I woke up with an, I want to get organized feeling. So - I went through my already gone thru clothes and lo and behold, I managed to separate myself from a whole 'nother bag full of clothes. Hurrah! We are re-doing our closet, so I pulled everything out - it filled up the whole guest room - not sure how because I can stand in our "walk-in-closet" stretch out my arms and touch walls on both sides. There were a ton of forgotten items in there! I spent yesterday saying "my gloves!" and "I still have this??" Among discoveries I made - we have a TON of coats and sweatshirts - both of us. I mean, whoa! Other discoveries? I wear a small fraction of my wardrobe - and I mean small fraction. Why oh why do I have so many clothes still? And how did I fit everything before I did purge 1 and purge 2. That also got me thinking - I have a small fraction of the clothing volume as most of my friends - so where the heck do they put their clothes and shoes?
Alright - I have procrastinated long enough - I really need to finish up this little project of mine. Wish me luck in letting things go - because sometimes, it's hard. And it is especially hard when you get rid of stuff and the hubs keeps everything.
1 comment:
Pops had socks he didn't like. We saved them for uhm... 25 years? He still doesn't like them, and admitted he will never wear them. Now they are in garage sale box! (snort here!). Elastic bands will get crunchy-dead if you save them too long, so undies should move on. Uncle Dave has mountains of memory shirts from events...once asked if we might need some for you kids...but he never took it further...hard stuff to release. You both DO have a lot of coats. And clothes. >^..^<
Post a Comment