This has got to be one of the most deceivingly difficult projects I have ever undertaken with regard to our home improvement projects - and after this attempt, I think that I will spend the extra money to just buy new cabinet doors.
We are re-doing our bathrooms. We are currently working primarily on our master bathroom. Originally, this room was going to get a complete overhaul-then we went to one income so that plan got scrapped. We decided on simple. New linoleum, new countertops, paint the cabinets, paint the walls, replace the sink, replace the toilet, build a new cabinet unit in the wasted space. Easy enough...ugh!
If anyone ever says, just paint the cabinets! Ignore them! First I had to remove the cabinets. Then I sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded. Then I put primer on them. They were rough. Back to the sanding with finer grit paper. Finally, they were ready for another primer coat. The shellac primer dripped. I sanded again. So far we have a whole lot of sanding and then 2 coats of shellac. Ok - so then I buy the semi gloss paint and primer in 1. Coat 1 on the back side, wait a day for it to dry. Coat 2 on the back side, wait 3 days for it to set so that I can flip the doors. Gasp! Some of the paint dripped from the backside paint job to the front. Ugh. More sanding. Then coat 1 on the front side. The paint drips, the crevices are hard to get into, pooling is tough to avoid. I still have another coat to do on the front side. I dread it. The saddest part about this adventure is that I will always know where the flaws are in the paint - and I will have to wonder if others can see it. Part of me wonders if the effort was fruitless -perhaps we should just buy new cabinets....
No comments:
Post a Comment