Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Going Vegan - On my body that is

I was giving Bear a bath last night. We have 2 soaps we use on him. 

Aveeno
and
Earth Mama Angel Baby

I was glancing at the Earth wash and it had a little picture of a bunny - the one that means cruelty free. That got me curious so I checked the back of the Aveeno bottle but there was no picture of a cute little bunny. I googled it and it turns out, Aveeno is Johnson and Johnson and it is tested on animals. 

Humph. 

There is just something slightly icky about that. So I figured, once the Aveeno is gone, we won't buy more, we will stick with our Earth wash which we love anyway :) 

But then I started researching. There is cruelty free for products and then there is vegan. 

What's the difference?

Cruelty free means no testing on animals or cruel treatment of animals by the company that makes the product. 

Vegan means no animal products (think crushed up bugs to make the pigment in your lip stain - Gross)

So while I won't be throwing out my products because honestly, I already bought them, I have them and I am not going to be wasteful, I am making the pledge to purchase Vegan cruelty free products for my body in the future. Now the worst part about this is having to hope that they have good Shampoo and Conditioner...I have very testy hair. 

There is one company that I am super sad about losing. Keihls (L'Oreal). Boo. 

But being Vegan in products doesn't mean a complete lack of awesome product. 


So here we go. As I use up the items I have, I will replace with new Vegan items. 





1 comment:

Jesica said...

While I totally support the cruelty free, I don't believe in testing on animals, I have NO problem whatsoever with there being crushed up bugs in products ;-) Really, doesn't bother me at all that there might be bat guano in my mascara, as long as it doesn't smell like guano, I'm good! Does this make me weird? Good luck with your vegan endeavors!