Tuesday, May 21, 2013

One Week (and also 13 days) and other stuff

Gentry:
  • Eats every 2 hours or so, day and night. 
  • Sleeps very well (either in the crook of my arm or swaddled in the pack n play napper)
  • Pretty much just east, sleeps and is content and awake. He is super easy and super content. 
  • Is growing because he is fitting ok in 3 month clothes (length, not chub - he is pretty skinny still)
  • Does tummy time pretty happily
  • Is going to be one tough dude. Older brothers are not gentile like older sisters - we try to be careful but he does get poked and roughed around by Barrett
  • Still in the jerky infant phase, moves his arms and legs with little to no control over movements
  • Seems to have a bit of a cold, maybe. Is kind of "snorgely" and stuffed up sounding
  • Content being held by anyone
  • Cries very loudly when he wants something (food) but quiets right down when he gets it
Gentry + Barrett (this blog is not about sugar coating)
  • 2 is WAY harder than 1. The transition to 1 seemed pretty ok, pretty easy at times. Sleep deprivation, lack of showers, etc - yea it was hard. But I could sleep when the baby slept (if I wanted to, not that I did), I could just sit, I could set him down and do stuff. Having an infant + a toddler? Mayhem. Craziness. Whole-new-ballgame. 
  • I thought Barrett was an easy baby. Turns out, he was not. Gentry, easy. Barrett...looking back, in addition to his dairy problem, I am almost certain he had colic. He cried a lot. He needed to be held all the time. He pretty much only liked being held by me. I remember struggling to take a shower or eat or anything. He was very difficult to nurse for the first 5 or so months. Gentry? Set him down, hand him off, swaddle, unswaddle...he is just content. Shower? Sure! Cook? Absolutely! Clean? No prob! - oh wait. Except for that busy toddler part...hm. Nevermind. I will just be unshowered, uncooked, uncleaned for...um. Ever. 
  • Did I mention that 1 was way easier? Let me tell all you 1 child families who thought 1 was a hard transition - who thought the sleepless nights were hard, who thought getting anything done or getting out of the house was hard. 2 is no joke. The good news is, I am used to being chronically sleep deprived (if you recall, I have not slept through the night since before Barrett joined us and he is almost 20 months old) so the good news is, I am not really bothered with not sleeping. And yes, I am super loser - I go to bed at 8:30 and get up at 7 or 8, whenever Barrett gets up - which equates to probably 6-7 hours of actual sleep. But there is no part of me that is willing to sacrifice any sleep for a stupid TV show. Sorry network TV. 
  • The bad news is - having an infant and a 20 month old is CRAZY. I don't know if an older sister would have been easier because girls are more gentile and into things like babies - but my sweet, compliant, easy going toddler definitely is a little more defiant, I wanna do it myself, whinny, grouchy, etc than he was. Maybe this was on its way anyway - but it hit right when Gentry came home. And from what I know about toddlers, 20 month olds are not capable of being jealous. But something is certainly going on. I spend a lot of my day reminding myself to be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Be patient. Repeat repeat repeat. 
  • People constantly remind me that the boys will play together and long term, it will be great. Right. I know. But short term (and I think we are talking a year at least), the is HARD. That's right. No lies. This. Is. Hard. When it was just Barrett, I was easy going mama. I was even tempered mama. I was just the kind of mama I wanted to be. As a mom of 2 (with newborn) I am patience tested mama. I am easily thrown over the edge mama. I am short tempered mama. I am every kind of mama I never wanted to be. And I am hoping that I can either reign this mama in, or that eventually things WILL get easier and I will be back to the previous mama. 
  • When you have your first, people ooh and aaah. People come over. People wanna meet the baby. People are so so so excited. When you have your second, people mostly don't seem to be interested. Meh, it's the second. If you were expecting lots of drop ins and people wanting to see you or people wanting to see the baby or whatever - don't get your hopes up - or you may be disappointed. Or maybe I send out "don't visit us" vibes. Either way - it's definitely not the excitement of baby 1. Not trying to be a downer, just being real. 
Me:
  • I gained way less weight with this pregnancy (yeay!) so while at 2 weeks out I was down to 160 with Barrett, this time 1 day shy of 2 weeks out I am down to 145.5. That is what I was when I got pregnant with Barrett. Wow. (I still have lots of work to do but yeah!)
  • Im sweating like crazy at night, just like I did with Barrett. 
  • Breastfeeding is going well. I was a bit engorged at the start but we are on track now. 
  • 1 pair of prepregnancy jeans fit. Few shirts fit because my boobs are huge. 
  • Mood wise, I am pretty good. Other than being overwhelmed by having 2. 
  • Sleep is good - but that's because I am used to not sleeping (ha!)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I really think George being gone is a big part of B's mood lately. If Mom and Dad are busy, he could go to George for attention or be comforted, or entertained. Now he doesn't have that third person.. so if he needs attention, he is acting out to get it. I just wonder how he will be once George is back. that might be the missing piece to getting back to normal a bit. Hang in there, you are doing great!!!