Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Arguments and Surprises

Arguments:
I know, kind of a funny title for a blog-but a very interesting question was asked over the weekend "Do you and Nick ever argue?" It seems as though arguments are a part of life-but I suppose I had a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around whether or not Nick and I actually argue. The word argue brings with it such negative connotations and I am not entirely sure why. By definition, argue means to present reasons for or against a thing. I found that my answer was no, Nick and I don't argue much, if at all. This is actually true. However, I did say that we disagree from time to time. Disagree by definition means to differ in opinion; dissent. I'm not entirely sure why disagree sounds so much better than ague, in fact-the definition of argue almost sounds more calm than the definition of disagree. I find it interesting how words change over time and how, in general, certain words have certain connotations associated with them.

I am not sure how normal or not normal it is to disagree or argue with your spouse-It is very rare that Nick and I do not agree on something but would this show that we have good communication and strong similarities? Does it show that neither of us have particularly strong opinions? I suppose I don't really know what happens in "normal" marriages but I do know that I do not like arguing at all and would rather not get my way than argue about something.

Surprises
It is really amazing how opinionated people are with life decisions. Everyone has an opinion on what is a good age to get married (well, it seems to be less about the age and more about "you are way too young" or "you are really getting older, when are you going to settle down?" With all this "too young" and "too old," it seems that the "perfect age" somehow gets lost. Anyway-this leads me to the surprises part of this post. **Disclaimer- No, we are not having a baby. ** Ok, so when Nick and I have kids, I really don't want to find out what we are having. My thought is this-It is only a 9 month wait and there are so few "real" surprises in life. I think that when we have kids, I will care less about what we are having and more about having a healthy baby so really, I would be thrilled with either sex, besides, there is nothing you can do to change the results-even if you find out when the baby is in-utero. So this brings me to the second part of this-plannning. Everyone thinks that you cannot adequately plan for a baby unless you know the sex. Yea. Maybe if you want to drown in pink or blue-but what about all the neutral colors. What if I want to do a zoo theme, or dogs, or yellow and green stripes? (No I dont really like those themes, but it was just an example). My thought is, I am not buying stuff for the baby that will last its entire life during the 5 months it is still baking before birth and there are so many things that people can buy for showers that can be used by either sex. Anyway, people are really opinionated about this topic. I heard the most interesting argument from a guy friend this past weekend. "I would want to find out because while I really would be happy with a health baby, no matter the sex, I would be disapointed deep down if it was a girl and would need those 5 months to get over that dissapointment. And deep down, Kenzie, every man wants a son and even if they don't admit it, every man is disapointed with a girl." Interesting. I sure hope this isn't true with all guys.

1 comment:

Missie said...

Another surprise - Did you two know that OSF is having 40th anniversary pricing on all of their dinners through the end of May??? It's almost cheaper than Taco Bell and 5x as good! I know you guys love it about as much as Matt and I do. We've been going every other tuesday for like three months now! Just wanted to share what we'll be eating tonight for din-din.