Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mmmmm. Flannel

It is the time of year when drinks are warm, food is rich and comforting and the summer bedding is replaced with flannel. Cozy, soft, comforting. I love flannel. I especially love when it gets to be worn and has that soft, almost silky feel.

Nick and I just returned from a 12 day trip and it was everything a 12 day trip should be - relaxing. But more on the actual trip later.

We read a book (well, I read a book out loud to Nick) while we were traveling. We have never done this before, but let me tell you - it sure passes the time. The book was a good thriller, and action book called The Killing Floor. Not the best writing by any stretch, but a good read for anyone if they are looking for mindless entertainment. The author used a metaphor that I can't seem to get out of my head. "The air was like soup."

Hmmmm. I feel like this should be included in funny metaphors that teachers encounter - It was certainly out of place in the book. I am not sure I would ever want to go to a place where the air felt like soup - sounds distasteful, to say the least.

Moving on.

I learned that you can substitute greek yogurt for recipies that call for oil. We made brownies this way. The recipe called for 1 egg, oil and water. Sub the oil out and use greek yogurt. It has more protein, is healthier, fluffier and has a moist texture. I will never use oil in baking again - trust me - give it a try. I used Fage plain greek yogurt. Seriously. Give it a try.

The one problem with vacation is the pile of work you have when you return. My desk is piled high with all kinds of projects. Our yard is full of leaves (thankfully, the trees have shed all the leaves!), the grass is long, etc. Last night, I mopped, vacumed, unpacked, cleaned the sink and counters, did a load of laundry, picked up, dusted....and there is oh so much more to do. I will save the rest for another day.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Interesting about the Greek yogurt. My baked oatmeal calls for 1/2 cup of oil, and I always cringe when I pour it in. I'll try the yogurt next time!!!