Friday, November 5, 2010

Piles of Leaves

I love my maple trees. I have 2 japanese maples and 6 regular sized maples. They act as amazing privacy screens with their greens during the spring and summer and thier bright orange and yellows in the fall. I love those trees. Until they drop their leaves. I feel like I am drowning under a pile of leaves with nowhere to put them. Our garbage company gives us a bin to put organic compostable items in. This took care of less than 1/8th of the leaf pile. And then there is the problem of privacy lost. We are waiting for our inscense cedar trees to mature and fill in so that they offer a more complete privacy screen between us and the house next door. When the maples are bare, it becomes more obvious that our inscense cedars have a ways to go.

Last night, I started on my first "crafty" project. I really wish that I could just fill my house with pottery barn and resoration hardware - but I will have to wait to be independently wealthy for that. When we re-did our kitchen, we put the kitchen cabinets in the garage for a workspace for Nick. I used one of the left over doors and painted chalkboard paint on part and mahogany stain on the frame part. Then Nick and I wiped some of the stain to give a weathered look. We need to go to home depot and get some brackets and some hardware to hang it. I am not sure where it will go yet, but it should be a really neat sign when it is done.

I have been stalking blogs of DIY home improvement buffs and I have to say, I am semi adicted. People are so creative! Among things that I want to do - A door table or barnwood table, my own picture frames and an entryway table (only longer). I will be sure to take pictures as these projects get complete.
Example of a long table that I just love

Door Table. It is delightful and so beautiful!




2 comments:

Amanda said...

Josh and I love these sort of looks too. We've toyed with making our own tables as well. Josh really wants to make an old coffee table sometime.

Anonymous said...

With all the property you have, you have room to create a mulch pile, enclosure, multiple bins, whatever. Nick is fabulous at building stuff. Piles can be made along your back fence if you want to be low-tech. With time it all becomes dirt....no----it becomes SOIL!
>^..^< Momasita