I totally just sold out. Haha. Each bed had a different problem. I am low on nitrogen in all beds and my ph is basic which surprises the heck out of me.
I have made a garden plan- something I have never done before. In the past, I just planted. This year, I am paying attention to which plants like shade more, which plants should not grow next to which plants, etc. This is a trick of Organic gardening. Certain plants use different nutrients and attract different pests-companion planting helps keep these at bay. Herbs will be staying out of the garden and will be getting their own bed! Hurray.
Ok-so I have a diagram and I am armed with my ph, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium results from each bed. I am headed to the nursery where they will tell me what I need. Hey, I am not expert - I trust the experts!
After correcting the PH, the following will be planted ASAP (please not that I will be planting other things later, these are the April plantings)
Bed #1 (most shaded) - Need to up nitrogen and lower ph from 7 to a 6
- Leaf Lettuce
- Radish
- Broccoli
- Spinach
- Beets
- Head Lettuce
Bed #2 (some shade) - Need to up nitrogen and lower ph from 7 to a 6
- Onion
- Carrot
Bed #3 (little shade in morning) - Need to up nitrogen, phosphorus and lower ph from 8 to 6
- Watermelon radish
- Artichoke
Bed #4 - lower ph from 8 to 6.5 and up nitrogen. No plantings yet.
Bed #5 - I need ph for blueberries to be 4-5 and for raspberries to be 5-6. I will need to chat with the nursery staff for some help on this.
Wish me luck ladies! Im off to the nursery.
No comments:
Post a Comment