This weekend, my sister-in-law and niece came up and helped put together the nursery (still in progress). I admit, I have been dragging my feet on getting this project going because of all the other projects we have going. Amber sweetly gave me the rocker that was purchased by Nick's mom when she had Nick and then was given to Amber for her daughter 8 years ago. She painted it and re-covered it to match with my Peter Rabbit/Green, white theme:
She also did a small dresser which I do not have a picture to share. She made curtains and curtain ties. The ties match the cover on the chair. We found a dresser at a garage sale (I'm new at this garage saleing thing!) for $10 and together, we repainted it green with an antique stain. This will serve as the dresser/changing table. I will show pictures when it is put together. It is currently out in the garage taking up Nick's space while it dries.
Here is the crib we will be ordering in the next few weeks:
And here is my bedding:
Bathroom projects
To say that I am project(ed) out is an under statement. I love getting things done, but we have so much going on right now in the project world that it is a little overwhelming.
And while you can ignore things like not having tile on the wall behind the kitchen counters and missing tile in the front entryway, we definitely cannot ignore things like having no extra bathroom for when company comes. We have 2 bathrooms, one of which is in the master and the other for the main house. The guest bath is completely taken apart, see previous posts on that. Things are taking longer than we had hoped - mostly because of silly things like having to reinforce the subfloor in order to put tile in there. Sigh. It is always something when remodeling.
I think it was this exhaustion with house projects that prompted a complete change in opinion on the master bathroom. We had planned on doing the following to the master
- Gut completely
- reinforce subfloor
- put in a dual head tile walk in shower with glass doors
- move toilet away from shower so that the shower could be bigger
- Install pocket door to enclose toiled and shower separately with window at top to let skylight light in to the rest of the bathroom
- Purchase new double sink vanity, move over to accommodate larger shower and shifted toilet
- Install tile floors
- Install new hardware
- Paint
- Remove door and frame from door going between master and master bathroom and turn into archway (remember, there is a new pocket door inside of the bathroom to close off the shower and toilet)
I just don't have it in me to 1. Design this space 2. Pay for the new items and the biggest item 3. Ask Nick to do yet another project. He is burning out, I can tell. I mean, look at the poor guy:
awww....
So, anyway - I made the executive decision that we will not be gutting the master bathroom...for now...but we will do some temporary updates since this space is partially taken apart. I wonder who would have started to take it apart without a plan...ahem, me. So here is what we will be doing to the master:
- Remember when I complained about painting the cabinets and what a horrible job this was? Well, with the whole bathroom re-design idea, I scrapped those cabinets. But wait! With the mini-remodel, I resurrected them! I put the doors back on and Nick put the drawers back on (I suck at using a drill) and we got new hardware.
- We will paint the laminate top (I have heard this job is hard and really sucks). I just have to remember that this is a temporary solution and that down the road, the true redo will be completed.
- Install new hardware (ie towel bars, shelf, etc), which was purchased at Costco ages ago and was going to be use, then wasn't going to be used and is now going to be a temporary solution. Oh mind changes. So fun!
- We are installing faux wood floors over the existing linoleum. These are waterproof, great for wet areas, look pretty ok, and super easy to install (ok ok, I will let you know just how "easy" after I watch Nick do it). They will warm the room up and give it a kind of spa feel.
- Put a faux frame around the mirror and paint to match the trim.
- Paint
- DONE!
So here is a picture of what the "idea" of the space is: (progress picture)
Projects before baby (16 weeks and counting!!)
So here is a list of the projects that we need to finish before baby comes (and you will see why I changed the master bath plans)
- Finish the Guest bath (complete re-do)
- Mini re-do of master bath
- Finish Nursery
- Finish putting up baseboard trim
- Tile the entryway
- Finish changing out the outlets in the house (many are uncovered)
- Build and install media cabinet for electronics in the family room and cut hole in drywall to hide wires
- Finish putting up blinds on windows
Projects on the back burner
- Re-side the house
- Re-paint the house
- re-do the deck
- Build covered area over deck that is screened in (I really wonder why the northwest has not caught on to this trend!! The east coast and south know how to use the outdoors better than we seem to)
- paver stone path around the front of the house and paver patio in the back
- Front grass re-do (currently has been killed, looks like crap :-)
- Install auto sprinkler system
- Build pergola over fire pit that will be on the patio in the back
- Level out back field
- Change all doors in the interior of the house to solid wood
- Re-carpet bedrooms
- New garage doors and openers
- Build Nick's (large) shop on the back of the property
- Plant trees and flowers to hide the aforementioned shop
- Tile backsplash in kitchen
- This list is exhausting just to look at!
And just for fun, here is our new stroller and its current occupant:
A note on the stroller. I wanted a black one, the 2011 model. I went to REI because they are on sale right now. They had (by complete fluke cuz these babies are SOLD OUT) a 2010 model. Mind you, there were only 3 2010 models left in the entire U.S.A. and it was $290. The original price of the 2010 model was $380. The price of the 2011 is $441 and was $389 on sale. Still with me? The 2010 was not black. It was brown and blue. Not the color I wanted, and not matchy matchy with my Chicco Midori carseat (gasp!) but far cheaper. I had to put my vanity aside (sigh) and realize that those kind of savings were worth a bit of clashing.






1 comment:
I think you guys are smart by putting aside some house projects that aren't priorities...you can only tackle so much at once! I think your master bath looks good with the little updates you have done with the hardware and such! Like you said.. just temporary... :-) I can't wait to see the nursery! I love that rocking chair!!!
Post a Comment