Friday, January 13, 2012

Proud



Breastfeeding is a lot of work. 

Exclusive breastfeeding is even more work. 

I feed bear approximately every 2 hours during the day  and lately, every 2 hours at night (with the exception of last night - 4 blissful hours. Thank you!)

We have given Bear a grand total of around 6 bottles in his life (pumped). 

He averages 10 feedings a day and has since birth. 

Bear is 113 days old so that is approximately 1,130 feedings - Woa. 

I am proud of the fact that I have never used formula - and not because I think you are a bad parent if you do, because lets be honest, there are a ton of very good reasons to use formula - but because I have put forth a tremendous amount of effort and I feel like I should be proud of this feat. 

I gave up dairy. 

I am careful to eat and drink enough to keep up milk production.

I work everything around feeding schedules. Workout. Shower. Grocery shopping. Everything revolves around Bear's eating schedule. 

From a personal standpoint, I am a huge breast-milk only advocate. Nothing is more well suited to the nutritional needs of babies. It lowers risk of disease, obesity, its good for their emotional well being, ect, ect, ect. And it is for all these reason that I am so willing to give up my personal well being for Bear's 

So with that - I would like to say, I am so proud to have made it 113 days because it has not been easy, it has been a tremendous amount of effort and it will continue to be a lot of effort. 

With any luck, I will continue to be able to provide for Bear in this capacity for a long time coming. 

To all you mom's out there who have made this tremendous commitment, way to go!

Because lets be honest - there is nothing easy about this whole breastfeeding thing. 

3 comments:

Nick said...

I'm proud of you too sweetheart! You are extremely dedicated and a wonderful mother!

Jessica said...

so proud of you! You are making a HUGE sacrifice for Bear's well-being, and it's not easy.. nor is it a lot of Mom's have the option of doing. Most likely Austin will have to be a formula-supplemented baby just because of me having to go back to work. I tip my hat to you Super Mommy!!!! :-)

Jesica said...

Keep up the good work, you're doing a fabulous job mama!