Saturday, January 28, 2012

Verdict: Week 1 Grocery Challenge

Did we eat for $40 this week?

No.

If you recall, we had a little of $2.00 to spend after my Saturday shopping trip. In the mean time, I had a moment of weakness. I went to Whole Foods and drooled over the items. I came away with (and lost my receipt) approximately $11 in food including fresh bread ($.99), a vegan doughnut ($1.99), Hummus (approx 2.24) and some garbage $5.ish Chardonnay. Then yesterday I purchased approx. $11 in Quiznos sandwiches but it was for Jessica (and me) who had just come home with her bundle of joy...so I won't be too hard on myself for that. Nick said he bought a coffee...so lets just say that was $3.50.

We ended the week having spent a grand total of around $65.00 on food and food related items.

Not too shabby!

So what types of things did we eat?

Breakfast was an almond milk and banana and vanilla protein and flax seed smoothie every morning.

Lunch consisted of tuna sandwiches, almond butter and jam sandwiches, pancakes, poached eggs with avocado.

Dinners consisted of rice, chicken, broccoli, green beans, chicken bean and avocado burritos, pancakes, steak, quinoa

The biggest flaw in this whole thing was that Nick basically didn't eat - at least that I can tell. He didn't pack a lunch, and he didn't purchase lunches. Problem.

We are going to try this for a second week. We need to shave $20 off the food spending to actually hit the $40 challenge...but I am pretty sure we were spending around $170 or more each week on food which adds up to a whopping $680 per month just eating. So even getting it down to $60 in a week is a HUGE improvement saving us somewhere around $440 a month.

I will give you the run down on our food purchases when I go shopping again. As it stands, we still have enough food to get us by for a few more days without having to visit the grocery store!

No comments: