Sunday, February 17, 2013

McCall and My Deathbed

We went to McCall for a week from the 6-13. I have no pictures from the trip, more on that in a moment.

Nick and George drove out to Ontario and stayed the night with George's brother and his wife. Barrett and I flew out the next morning because I was working on Tuesday. My BFF Jessica was so kind and drove us to the airport bright and early before she had to go to work. Barrett is not a morning person and thought the 5:30am wakeup was not very appropriate.

We met with our accountants and our insurance agents in Boise and then headed up to the best place on earth, our cabin in McCall. Snow, sunny blue skies, snowshoeing, going for walks - ah, what could be better...

On Sunday I woke up feeling kind of funny. At 8am I started throwing up. I threw up non-stop every hour or less for the next 10 hours. The kind of throwing up where you can't hardly get water down before you are throwing it back up. The kind where tears stream from your eyes, your throat can't keep up with your ab muscles, where you collapse in a heap on the bathroom floor and want to cry because you know you're going to have to repeat. And finally, at 11:45pm, I ate my first meal, 2.5 saltine crackers and kept them down.

I awoke on Monday feeling as though someone had punched me in the cheek. My top left teeth hurt, my cheek was throbbing, my eye felt like it was going to pop out. Did I throw up so violently that I broke something in my face? As it turns out, this was my first and most severe (like deathbed severe) sinus infection. I called my OB's office and they said humidifier, Sudafed PE, hot compresses, etc (none of these worked or did anything, the pain was intolerable . I suffered with the severe pain for Monday, Tuesday and on Wednesday it was time to drive home. In McCall I literally sat on the couch from Sunday morning (other than time spent throwing up) until we left Wednesday. Completely missed out on all the snow and fun. Nick was amazing and took care of Barrett the whole time (and me of course).

The drive back home was H.E.L.L. Have you ever had a severe sinus pressure and pain and traveled from 5,000 feet back to sea level? My pain was so severe that even going from sitting to standing was a noticeable change in pressure so the drive down the mountains, back over a mountain pass and back down to sea level was HORRIBLE. As soon as we got back to town, we didn't even go home, we went to urgent care. Not that the doc was helpful. He was like "well without doing a CAT scan I can't tell if you have a sinus infection, so here's a prescription for antibiotics, good luck. Uh thanks dude. I have been on my deathbed for almost a week, I never go to the doctor, and all you can do is barely look at me and say "good luck." Sweet, guess that's why they pay you the big bucks, you're so charming!

So anyway - I started the antibiotic Thursday evening (hoping that I wouldn't have to take them because it scares me to be pregnant and take drugs). It is now Sunday mid-morning. The pain has migrated from only my left to both my left and right cheek. It's a touch more tolerable than the pain level 10 I was at for a while there, but it is still hell.

I originally got a cough on the 4th on February. It became a bit of a sinus thing. Then it turned into a horrible stomach bug for 12 hours. Then the worst most severe sinus infection I can imagine. It's the 17th and I am still in severe pain. I have never been this sick. I have never been sick this long. I mean seriously?? I feel like every time I turn around it is something new. I have been sick almost the entire month of February and so sick I was in bed and unable to do anything for the last 7.

As for pregnancy related stuff, I have lost 5 lbs which probably isn't wonderful but all the literature says that the baby will get what he needs. I'm also really weak. Getting up and walking across the house is a huge effort that leaves me breathless and tired. I am hopeful that in the next week I come through and get back on my feet. I am ready to be normal again!

2 comments:

Haley said...

McKenzie, this is Haley. Call your dentist first thing Monday morning!!!

Jessica said...

Your month of February sickness was my January... your sinus pain will get better! Mine migrated too... from just the left side, then to my temple, then between my eyes and then finally down in my throat and then it was gone. Weird, but it did go away. Sorry you were so sick! Ugh! And that Docter? A CAT scan for a sinus infection? I've never heard of that... mine just looked in my sinuses and saw they were red and angry and infected. Regardless, I'm glad you got antibiotics!