Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Budgets and spending

One very interesting and unexpected aspect of staying home has been increased awareness and focus on spending/budgeting. I am not sure I realized just how expensive having a job can really be.

Expenses of a job:
The wardrobe (dress clothes are really pricey!)
Dry cleaning
Laundry more often (dress clothes are swathed for workout clothes are switched for casual)
Fuel (I was spending upwards of $60 per week on gas, plus wear and tear on my car
Lunch out
Coffee 1-2x per day
Dinner out or the quick stop for convienience foods at the store in my rush to get home
Shopping on the way home to get things we really didn't need

There was also a premium that I was willing to pay for convenience and things that I just didn't think about much. Leaving the heat up, buying movies, stocking up on picture frames for a frame wall and then never putting them up, buying tons of paint colors, tiles, etc looking for the perfect things to finish off our home but never retiring them...

I find that staying home has actually saved a sizable amount of money- surprising given the fact that I took a take-home pay cut of 50%! I just think that there was very little focus on what was actually going out the door and so much more focus on convenience.

---------------

We had a really great weekend this past weekend. We attended the beaver/ duck game and I a pleased to announce that the ducks won and we will be going to Glendale Arizona to watch the ducks battle it out for the bcd number 1 national title!

I joined my brother, his girlfriend Sara, my sister Ali and her 2 kids tanner and Jordan plus my parents at the Portland zoo for zoo lights! As always, the display didn't disappoint and I recommend it to everyone!

1 comment:

meakins said...

I thought of you guys at the game - I'm sure you were screaming loud and wearing obnoxiously vibrant duck colors I hope, in the midst of those beavers! :) It was such a great game!