Friday, January 20, 2012

40 dollar challenge

Can a family eat for $40 a week?

That is my challenge. 

Not just eat - but eat healthy. No freezer dinners or extreme couponers buying all the lean cuisine in the freezer at Fred Meyer. No - we are talking fresh food. 

I think the key to doing this is simplification of diet. If we eat many of the same things, I think we can do this. As such, no gourmet items. No experimental foods with lots of ingredients. 

The thing is, we have certain things already that make this challenge easier, but the challenge is to eat on $40 per week for - oh lets just say a month. 

The staple foods are as follows:
Eggs, eggs eggs
Almond milk
Spinach
Green Onion
Mushrooms
Broccoli
Green beans
Avocado
Bananas
Oranges
Tuna
Almond Butter
Jam (I made jam in the fall)
Rice
Bread


I anticipate going through a ton of eggs. Good thing we love scrambles. We will be having between the two of us, a 6 egg scramble with green onion, mushroom and spinach daily for a meal. 

Smoothie - almond milk, banana, soy protein, flax seed oil

Tuna sandwich

Almond butter and jam sandwich

I will keep you all posted on how this goes. 





2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think you can.. our weekly food budget is $80, but honestly we usually spend around $60 and that's getting a lot of extra things like juice, bread, bagels, fixings for dinners, etc.. since you are getting very basic fresh things I totally think you can hit this!

Jesica said...

I think it's possible, but I don't know if I could do it. I think we spend at least $40 just on meat every week! Do you guys have a Farmers Market in the winter there?
If you do this is DEFINITELY doable cause you can get like 30 eggs for $5 or something ridiculous like that. Good luck!