Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Simplify, Photo's and Fog

Photo's
I am finally getting around to uploading my photo's from my iphone to the computer. All 511 of them. It is taking forever. I would likely include more photo's here on this blog but I have this problem with importing them so they are never at my fingertips when I need them.

In chronological order starting sometime early this year:
 Playing with his xylophone. 

In the backpack trying it out

Looking concerned

Eating breakfast out. 

Having a morning in. 

Heidi and Nick demolishing my parents in ground pool.

New siding installed (the siding is a totally ugly color!)

New front door before the trim

New siding on the house!

Amanda, Jessica, Me - girls night out. 

Snoozing

Beautiful walk on the beach. (I never like the oregon coast but this day was one exception)

Wearing our new helmet (over the summer)

4th of July with Nicks niece Kaylee, his sister Danelle, Nick, Barrett and me

In McCall snoozing on daddy after a long day

New tile in the kitchen before the pot filler was installed

Even mommies can fit into the peapod with me!

Snoozing

New car seat!

House painted with new garage doors. So pretty!!

Hiking with auntie. 

Snoozing in the king size bed!

Hot at an outdoor wedding. 

Super hot at the wedding, with Auntie

Hot in sunriver

Loving his bunny's!

Hating his jammies

Climbing in the cupboards. 

a
Climbing on his play bench. 

Showing off his duck gear. 

Showing off his getting into the cupboard skills...

Showing off his horribly cut bangs. Thanks mommy. 

Tackling Trooper

Showing off his new hat

Reading naked. 

Baby brother

First fat lip (he fell on the brick fire place)

Sitting in the dryer (he got in there himself)

Sliding head first

Ready for round 2!


Simplify
Lately I have been so nostalgic for a simple life I left behind not long ago. Allow me to illustrate.


  • I got my first email address in college, the one they provide you with in college. I never checked it. 
  • I signed up for my first real email address my senior year in college when I went to Italy (that was fall 2004 - 8 years ago)
  • I got my first cell phone in college - it was a cricket phone that only made local calls and only worked in Eugene. I never sent texts on this phone (this was 2001 - 11 years ago)
  • I started texting after I moved into my house (that would have been 2008 - 4 years ago)
  • I got my first smart phone after my first year of working as an associate, also 2008
  • I got my first touch phone in 2009 - 3 years ago. 
  • I got email, internet, gps, etc on my phone when I got the touch phone in 2009 - 3 years ago. 
  • I joined facebook (on a very limited basis) in 2006 and didn't develop a need to check it every day until 2009 when I got my smart phone. 
So basically, up until 11 years ago, I did not effectively have email, a cell phone, internet or "social networking" as a part of my daily life, constant connection to the world. 

And I wasn't any less connected to the people and things that are meaningful to me. 

I actually TALKED on the phone. I went to coffee to catch up rather than sending a quick text, email or facebook message. 

I didn't check on celebrity websites - who cares about what they are doing anyway? (ok, so I am mildly interested but I used to get the scoop when I would fly and would buy the trashy mags, it was my "flying" reading and actually something I looked forward to).

I didn't over research things on the internet. I wouldn't feel well? Ask a friend or mom what it might be. I wanted to buy a new outfit? Local mall. Things that weren't available locally? They didn't exist. And I never missed the fact that I didn't have access to them. 

I guess what I am saying is, more and more technology keeps getting introduced and somehow it becomes a vital part of my life. I have to check Facebook because what if I miss something? I have to have email on my phone because I have my own business and must be connected all the time just in case something important comes up. I must have GPS on my phone because how would I ever find something if I hadn't been there before? I have to have internet at my fingertips because I might have to look something up...

And yet, 11 short years ago, none of this was part of my life. 3 short years ago, the internet didn't go everywhere in my pocket with me. And I was fine. I wasn't a bad employee. I wasn't a bad friend. I wasn't disconnected. I was actually MORE connected. I talked to people. I called people. I was present with them 100% when we were face to face. A phone, gadget or otherwise would NEVER interrupt a conversation. 

And yet, in thinking about getting rid of my smart phone, I get anxious. In imagining not having email everywhere with me I get nervous. In imagining trying to find something without turn by turn instructions I sweat a little. 

Once you plug in, it is so hard to unplug. I don't know why. And yet, I am so drawn to simplification...And the thing is, would I really miss that much? If my friends weren't willing to call me or send a letter to invite me to things rather than an email or facebook message - maybe we aren't that good of friends. Harsh, but true. If we are only connected on a virtual level - are we really close? 

I don't have a solution. For now, I am contracted to be connected. And it makes me a GOOD business owner. But when my contract comes up...I may (may is the operative word) elect to go simple. That extra $100 a month sure would be nice! For now, I am on a week long detox from Facebook. Some thing I have done before...but then I fell right back into the "must check" thing...

Fog
We have been in the fog for over a week. I miss the sun. I admit, I checked the McCall Web Cam's. It has been sunny there every day. Either it is sunny or it is snowing. I love that. Sunshine and clear, or snow, which is pretty. I don't mind cold. I do mind gray. Why do we live here in this gray valley again?



3 comments:

Jessica said...

I know.. I meant to downgrade my phone last year and totally chickened out. It is really hard to unplug after you've gotten used to being plugged in. I am trying to be better though and not check it at night when I should be playing with Austin or being with Neal.

Haley said...

Hi McKenzie, I just wanted to say hello and I still faithfully read your blog. I'm loving all your recent posts. Congratulations on baby #2!
I've just entered the blogging world, TheBuhmanBunch at blogspot. This is the first "social media" anouncement of sorts.

Haley

The Inevitably Adventurous College Grad said...

This whole post just made my night.