Is it possible to go backwards in progression? Why yes, apparently it is!
Today I had my weekly appointment. Lets take a look at the stats.
Progress: He told me I was still dilated to 2cm and when I looked disappointed, he said he could call it 3. I was 70% effaced last week and the week before - this week he said it felt more like 50%. Are you scratching your heads yet? Yea, so was I. So here's the scoop. Last week, the baby had descended and was kind of what we would call "locked and loaded" in the pelvis. Well, the stinker decided that wasn't really his thing, so he floated up. So in terms of station (how descended his head is), he is floating. That means that he is as far from a station as he can possibly get. Effacement is easier to feel when there is a babies head pressing down on the cervix - my kid's head is way up nowhere near the cervix, therefore, what felt like 70% last week now feels more like 50%. Yep, we are "unprogressing" if that is even an useable term.
How I am feeling: Surprisingly comfortable - although a little annoyed at this turn of events that equals lack of progress.
I asked my doc how big he thought he was. My doctor really rocks - he is not much for guessing or getting hopes up or sugar coating. If you gain too much weight, he will tell you to stop gaining weight. He shoots straight and I like that. Basically, he wouldn't guess. All he said was, you have a big boy in there. Nice. And the longer my big boy stays put, the bigger he will get. I have mixed feelings on this. I want healthy. But have I mentioned how terrified of birthing this dude I am?!? Can we say anxiety when I even think about it?? Yea. Nervous nervous nervous.
Sadly, I poped a stretch-mark the other day too. This kid has outgrown his space and he is ruining my skin in his effort to stay put. I need to have a serious talk with him about his lack of interest in coming or I may have to threaten him with an eviction notice.
Perhaps he is upset that he doesn't have a name. Or maybe he is concerned about not having 2 functioning bathrooms. Whatever the reason, he is choosing to avoid progress toward joining us on the outside.
So with that, the countdown continues - 10 days until my official due date, and a possible 14 more if he ends up going that far...and if my doctor continues to make me go that far. In the mean time, I will continue to tell him that I think it is high time for him to join us out here :)
1 comment:
Dear Baby B-
you have overstayed your welcome in Mommy's womb. It is high time you joined the real world and come join us so we can see you and cuddle you!
Post a Comment