Wednesday, September 14, 2011

MD appointment 39 weeks 3 days - 4 to go

Alrighty - I had an appointment today so I thought I would make a few updates.

I am 3+cm dilated and 50% effaced. The baby is at either a station -1 or +1, I can't remember which one he said but the key here is that he dropped again and is in a head down, ready to come out position. The doc swept my membranes again and this time it was pain free. Hurray!

Here's the scoop on when the little dude will come - I am to wait until 40 full weeks before being induced but if I had to be at this point, I have progressed far enough that I have a good chance for induction going well. I have an appointment on Tuesday September 20. I currently have a scheduled induction date of Thursday September 22 with check in to the hospital at 7:00am unless the baby comes earlier. I can also cancel the induction at any time if I should decide that I would rather continue to wait it out - however, at that point, I will be 40 weeks and 5 days along and my doc was perfectly comfortable with the idea of an induction on that day with my progress and everything. Plus, he is around so that is good too. He said that the chances are I would progress quickly once the process was started. Another great thing is that I can have an epidural whenever I want it based on how far into the process I already am, so that makes me feel much better as well! But anyway, with any luck, he will come on his own - and again, if I chicken out and want to continue waiting for him to come naturally, I am not stuck with my scheduled induction. There are several things at play that make me teeter on both sides of the argument.

1. I don't like the idea of induction because I have heard bad things about the unnatural nature of an induced birth. I have heard it hurts more. I have heard there is an increased chance of a C-section. I have heard all kinds of things.

2. I am afraid to wait it out for too long knowing that I already have a big baby - I personally know 3 people who waited it out and their babies ended up being too big to come out on their own and they ended up with C-sections due to size. One has to wonder if the baby would have been induced, would they have been able to deliver a more small sized infant naturally? Who knows.


The end of pregnancy is a cruel joke - In the last week, I feel like my body is just falling apart. I am still walking great, I am spry and happy, I am in a good mood and I definitely still have a sense of humor about everything - but my body is totally falling apart. TMI alert.

In the past week, I have gotten worsening stretch marks, my abs have separated and have a hole between them that even Nick can see, I am not sleeping well, I have the worst gas EVER - like, my dog can't even be around me it is so awful, which is pretty much really embarrassing and strange given the fact that I can barely eat these days and have actually lost 5 lbs because fitting food in my squeezed to the max belly is impossible so I cannot figure out what the culprit would be. Back to the gas thing though - because of the pressure that the baby is putting on me, it is hard to make it come out...so, I ended up with a hemorrhoid - seriously?? Up until about a week ago, my body was virtually stretch mark free and I really thought I was going to make it through this un-scathed - with no hemorrhoids or anything - nope. I found myself laughing in bed this morning all by myself because at a certain point, you just have to find humor in this whole process. Embarrassing, horrifying - pure comedy.

Alright, that's all for now - I am going to try to take a nap - acid reflux and all :)

3 comments:

Our Pratt Pack said...

McKenzie you crack me up. The end of your post reminds me of the book a Girlfriends guide to pregnancy which no one told me about until my 2nd... if you haven't read it you should get it, it will give you something to do these last few days. It's about all the gross stuff no one wants to tell you about!

Our Pratt Pack said...

On a side note I no everyone and pregnancy is different including the 5 of mine but I was induced with 4 and they all went well if that makes you feel any better. I even made it through 3 of them no drugs. Boston came on his due date and was my biggest one my easiest deliveries. I was freaked out I would rip in two because I had never gone that far into a pregnancy and I could tell he was way bigger than the girls but it all worked out. Can't wait to see when the big day will be!!

Jessica said...

you know my thought... the gas and such is just a sign your body is changing and shifting.. could be hormone changes (like getting gassy during your period) so I really do think you are getting really close! I'm thinking this weekend you'll be in labor!!