Friday, August 12, 2011

Bummer of an MD appointment

I mentioned in my last post that I was feeling uncomfortable. I had a Dr. appointment yesterday and found out why.

I have been measuring big for a while. I have been anywhere from 2 to 6 cm ahead of schedule for the past 3 appointments - that's 6 weeks of measuring big.

I had an ultrasound yesterday to check his size. He was estimated at 6lbs 6.7oz - that is a whopping 1.4lbs over what he is supposed to be measuring. If I were 36 almost 37 weeks, not 34 almost 35 weeks, that would be ok - but I'm not.

And now they are estimating that he will be high 8's low 9's in total lbs when he is delivered. And I measured at 38, which is what people measure when they are DONE being pregnant. So basically, I am lugging around a big baby - and I am terrified.

And to boot, even if they thought my due date was off, they wont change it. And they don't induce for size. Nope. If I am doomed to have a big baby, he will be big - and my Dr. has "faith" that I can deliver said big baby.

I want to cry.

I was nervous enough about labor when I thought I would have a 7lb baby - now I am flat TERRIFIED thinking about dropping a 9lb baby.

And never you mind how bummed I am that I will have to put up with all the judgement that people aim at mom's who have big babies. Assuming they ate bad, didn't take care of themselves, etc.

I am trying to focus on the positive. He is healthy! But that doesn't change the fact that I am changing my diet - no sugar, no ice cream (not that I was eating much of it, but now I won't eat any), no fried food, no fatty foods  and I am going on 2 walks a day - maybe this will keep him from getting up to 9lbs?? Lets hope!

I don't have hope that he will come early. My mom had her babies late. My sister had hers late. Family history dictates that mine will be late.

4 comments:

Jesica said...

Try not to worry my dear. Contrary to what dr.s try to convince women of when it comes time to deliver, It's actually a RARE thing for a woman to create a baby that is too large for her, our bodies are pretty good about making babies the right size. The obese women that give birth to 12 lb babies are a whole different ballgame and you don't fall into that category at all, even if you have a big baby. A girlfriend of mine, skinniest person I know, gave birth au naturale at home to a 8lb 4 oz baby, without tearing and he arrived a week early, one more week and he would have been a 9 lber for sure. SO, if your baby is big, he may very well come early, or you're just well designed to birth a big baby. Either way worrying about it won't help! Have faith in your body, you can birth this baby no matter the size!

yuan family said...

Big babies are usually better sleepers though since they don't need as much milk...that is a great thing!! I think you are doing great. Hang in there!

Jessica said...

you know my feelings on this... I still think you might be farther along then what the Dr's think.. so I'm still thinking you'll give birth after Labor Day! And Jes is right... your body is growing a baby it can handle. Valerie's tiny body and narrow hips delivered her almost 11 lb baby just fine!!!

Our Pratt Pack said...

Boston was my biggest baby at over 8 lbs and was by far my easiest delivery so there's always hope. Plus my friend CArly who isn't even 5ft. had an 11 pounder just fine so I hope you have the same success. I wouldn't stress out too much at least he'll be well developed!!