Friday, August 12, 2011

Raspberry Jam

I made jam - for the first time. 

Remember - I am not domesticated, so I don't own canning tools. I had to improvise. 

I purchased a flat of Raspberries from the farm down the way for $10

I looked a recipe up on google. I chose the "old fashioned" one because it was simple - A pot, fruit, sugar. 

The recipe called for equal parts sugar and fruit. 


 Mmmmm. Mashed Raspberries

After boiling the sugar and fruit together, I decided they needed to be canned -

 Poor-Mans Canning set up. Towel on the bottom of the pot, large soup pot.
Poor Mans jar tongs - BBQ tongs

Finished product cooling - lets hope that they actually sealed and that what seemed to be pretty runny thickens up to become "Jam"

But I just want to say, hurray for me for trying this, doing it without any of the tools and (succeeding?)

Oh and on another note, our household no longer has car payments. I officially own my car! And Nick has owned his for forever. We only have 2 "debt" items left to pay-off, one of which is our house :-) YEAY!!!






1 comment:

Jessica said...

I loooooove getting rid of debt! We are down to just the Jeep and 2 credit cards.. we had 4 between the 2 of us, so cutting the cards down by half felt like an accomplishment! Still plugging away! And I can't wait to try some of your jam!